Almeria exports more to Eastern Europe

Over the period January- November 2013 Almeria exported 8.8% more volume and 11.6% in value over the eleven months of 2012. Traditionally, the main destinations for Almeria are Germany, France, the Netherlands and England. The sales to Eastern Europe are still small in volume and value compared with those countries, but there is growth and the sector sees opportunities for more, when the logistics are more regulated. Transportation is very expensive, an exporter says: "A truck to Moscow costs € 4,000 , while moving cargo to northern Russia costs even € 12,000."

In the first eleven months of 2013 Almeria achieved a turnover of € 11.2 million in Russia, representing 0.6 % of total exports of fruits and vegetables in Almeria. The turnover has doubled since 2010. Sales to Poland increased from 3.3% to 3.9%, to Romania from 0.2 % to 0.6 % and to Lithuania from 0.4 % to 0.5 %.